Sharpen up: January 15, 2022 | The Sabers face Detroit tonight
It’s another Buffalo Sabers game night. The team ends its two-game road trip with the start of a home-and-away game against the Detroit Red Wings.
Faceoff tonight is scheduled for 7 p.m. on MSG and The Bet 1520 AM. Pre-match coverage on MSG begins at 6:30 a.m.
The teams will meet on Monday afternoon at the KeyBank Center. Tickets for the 1 p.m. puck drop are on sale now.
Here’s what you need to know.
Video: PRACTICE REPORT
From the practice report:
Tage Thompson has cleared COVID-19 protocol and could potentially join the Sabers for their game at Detroit’s Little Caesars Arena on Saturday, coach Don Granato told The Buffalo News on Saturday. Peyton Krebs also cleared the protocol.
Video: AFTER TRAINING: Granato
Thompson, who leads the Sabers with 23 points, entered protocol Jan. 10.
Krebs entered protocol on Jan. 4 after playing three games with the Sabres. Granato said Wednesday that Krebs was feeling well but had not met testing requirements to come out of solitary confinement.
“But the longer he’s out, the longer it will take him to get back into shape,” Granato said. “That’s what’s frustrating for all of us and we’re frustrated for him. But he feels good.”
Video: AFTER THE PRACTICE: Dell
Read the full story here.
Speaking of Thompson, he’s the Sabers’ representative in the Last Men In ballot for the 2022 NHL All-Star Game, which takes place at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Feb. 5.
Fans can send Thompson to the All-Star Game by voting at NHL.com/vote by Monday, January 17. The winners will be announced on January 18.
Not only is Thompson having a stellar season, he’s really tall, so vote up to 10 times a day and send Vegas a #TallStar:
From the game notes:
• This is the second of four meetings between the Sabers and the Red Wings this season.
• Last meeting: Detroit beat Buffalo 3-2 (OT) in Detroit on November 27.
• Next meeting: Monday January 17 in Buffalo.
• The Sabers are 6-0-4 in their last 10 games against the Red Wings; 7-2-1 on the road.
• This is the 148th game of all time between Buffalo and Detroit; Buffalo has a 66-59-22 series record.
• The Sabers are 11-2-5 against the Red Wings since the start of the 2016-17 season, including a 7-1-1 record on the road.
• The Sabers are 27-39-9 on the road against the Red Wings all-time.
• Buffalo have won a point in each of their last 10 meetings with Detroit (6-0-4) and are looking to earn at least one point tonight to extend the streak to 11 games for the first time in the all-time series. time between clubs.
• Buffalo has scored a power-play goal in each of its last five games and is looking to extend its streak to six games for the first time since January 24 to February 15, 2021.
• Jeff Skinner scored four goals in their last four games.
• Since joining the Sabres, Skinner has scored four goals in four visits to Detroit.
• In four games since joining the Sabers this season, Alex Tuch scored four points (1+3).
• On the road this season, Vinnie Hinostroza ranks third among Sabers skaters with 11 points (5+6) and hasn’t played back-to-back road games without recording a point in 2021-22.
• Hinostroza has seven points (2+5) in his last eight games against Detroit.
Skinner on the microphone
Jeff Skinner was wired for sound during a practice last week. It did not disappoint:
Video: Jeff Skinner on the microphone in training
New podcast “Instigators Overtime”
Sabers associate general manager Jason Karmanos joined Brian Duff and Martin Biron on this week’s “The Instigators Overtime” podcast to give them insight into Buffalo’s front office.
Video: Jason Karmanos on “The Instigators Overtime” podcast