Non-tillagers can access federal emergency loans during drought

Non-growers who are suffering crop devastation from the ongoing drought can now apply for USDA assistance.

Many counties across the country have been designated by the USDA as major natural disaster areas, which means the Farm Service Agency (FSA) has been authorized to issue emergency loans to producers.

Loans are granted based on the extent of losses incurred, the availability of collateral and the ability of producers to repay, according to the FSA.

Emergency loans can be used to cover the cost of replacement equipment or livestock, reorganizing a farm business, or refinancing certain debts.

The declarations cover large sections of Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma, as well as counties in other states like Maine, New Hampshire and New York. Drought determinations are based on the US Drought Monitor website, which is updated weekly.

Different counties – and adjacent counties eligible to receive FSA loans – have different deadlines for applications.

Non-growers interested in applying for loans or having questions about them can use the USDA’s online tool to find their local service center.

The following is a partial list of counties where non-farmers are eligible for the emergency loans announced Nov. 4. Other counties may be eligible due to prior declarations.


Non-plodders in Appanoose, Davis, Henry, Jefferson, Keokuk, Mahaska, Monroe, Van Buren, Wapello and Washington counties have until May 19 to apply for emergency loans.

Non-plowers in Harrison, Humboldt and Kossuth counties have until May 26 to apply for emergency loans.

Non-plowers in Clarke, Iowa, Jasper, Lucas, Madison, Marion, Polk, Poweshiek, Union and Warren counties have until June 5 to apply for emergency loans.


Non-plowers in Greenwood County, Kansas have until May 26 to apply for emergency loans. This statement includes the surrounding counties of Butler, Woodson, Chase, Elk and Wilson.

Non-plowers in Anderson, Coffee, Johnson, Linn, Lyon and Wyandotte counties have until June 12 to apply for emergency loans.


Non-plowers in Anoka County, as well as the surrounding counties of Chisago, Hennepin, Isanti, Ramsey, Sherburne and Washington have until May 26 to apply for emergency loans.


Non-plowers in Boone, Cooper, Howard and Moniteau counties can apply for emergency loans through June 5.

Non-heels in Bates, Carroll, Cass, Clay and Ray counties can apply for emergency loans through June 12.


Non-plowers in Dawson and Prairie counties can apply until June 5. This statement includes Custer, Fallon, Garfield, McCone, Richland and Wibaux counties.


Washington County non-plowers are eligible to apply for emergency loans through May 26. This statement includes Burt and Dodge counties.

Non-plowers in Butler, Dawes, Douglas and Saunders counties are eligible for emergency loans through June 5.


Non-plowers in Brown and Clermont counties are eligible to receive emergency loans through May 29. This statement includes Adams, Clinton, Hamilton, Highland, and Warren counties in Ohio and Bracken, Campbell, Mason, and Pendleton counties in Kentucky.


Non-plowers in Sequoyah County are eligible to apply for emergency loans through May 19. This statement includes Adair, Cherokee, Haskell, Le Flore, and Muskogee counties in Oklahoma, and Crawford and Sebastian counties in Arkansas.

South Dakota:

Non-farmers in Beadle, Jerauld, Kingsbury and Sanborn counties can apply for emergency loans through June 12. This statement includes Aurora, Brookings, Brule, Buffalo, Clark, Davison, Hamlin, Hand, Hanson, Like, Miner, and Spink counties.

Related content:

Dryland drought continues to spread

Arid lands are very dry

Click here for more no-till news.

Comments are closed.